Friday, May 11, 2018

Trooper's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

It actually started Thursday evening with something good. I took Trooper, Maya, and Rugger out for a hike. I wasn't planning to take Trooper because it was rather warm, but he really wanted to go and it's hard to say no to Trooper. I had already walked two miles earlier in the day and was just planning to do another two miles.

We had a good walk, but Trooper and Rugger pulled too much starting out, and Trooper was pretty tired by the end. So tired, in fact, that Trooper didn't even venture upstairs Thursday night. He slept downstairs in the kitchen and Clay found him sleeping at the foot of the stairs when he got up Friday morning.

I knew I had to get Trooper to the vet. I needed to get him back on something for pain and they wanted to do blood work to check his liver function before he started on it. I got an appointment midday and in we went. Trooper hates going to the vet. He hates being looked at and being handled by strangers and that's pretty much what happens at the vet.

Although he's not the best patient, they are very patient with him. I got a muzzle on him after lifting his gums for a long distance check of his teeth. They did everything in the room so I could hold him. Basically he's ok as long as he's facing away from whatever they are doing to him. I held the front end and they did most of the exam and treatment from the rear. He grumbled when they got too close, but he really didn't flinch when they drew blood or gave him shots. He's fine as long as no one but me is in his face.

Still, he pretty much hated the whole ordeal and thought it was just the worst thing ever, even though it was really pretty quick and painless. He hadn't been to the vet in a long time, so we did everything due or coming due so hopefully he won't have to go again. He's got a little growth on his eyelid and a tooth that may be bad, but if we go in again for those at least he will be unconscious and won't see anyone looking at him. He needs to lose some weight, so I'm going to have to cut back on his food. His back end is probably not good, but we're just going to live with that as best we can. The blood work was good and his heartworm test was negative, so I'll get him started on some pain meds to make him more comfortable.
He sat between my legs while we waited and
sometimes tried to climb into my lap.

Even when it was just us in the room, he knew
what we were waiting for and he wasn't happy.
He got back home and snuggled with Maya (her idea) and took it easy the rest of the day, but he was feeling good enough to come upstairs to bed tonight.




When we got back home he got on the bed under
my desk and Maya snuggled in next to him.
He was wishing we had brought Maya
along because she knows how to open a door.


He needed a good nap after that ordeal.



 

1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

I'm glad his bloodwork came back ok! Looks like Maya was very happy to have him back home!