Saturday, May 5, 2018

Gardening with shepherds

I filled the back of the van with plants from a local nursery.
No rain, decent temperature, and no commitments meant that today was my day to plant the container garden. I had help of course, in the form of three German Shepherds:  Max, Theo, and Rugger.

A stop at Lowe's for some fertilizer resulted
in a few more plants.


This was the starting look.

Max with a tennis ball.


All three dogs hung around pretty close, but
Rugger was in my face much of the time.


Rugger really tried to help, mostly by digging at
the bare dirt and occasionally carrying things off.

I had to watch Rugger closely because I
wouldn't put it past him to dig up some
of the things I had just planted.

Theo wanted to play ball, of course, and we
did, whenever he could find a tennis ball.


The plants don't look like much yet,
but I have faith.

Rugger may be pointing out one I missed.
I didn't have enough plants for every pot, but
I probably got 80% of it done, which isn't bad
for the first day. I will need another nursery run.



Max, with remnants of a tennis ball on the
ground in front of him.






This is a new arrangement for the containers this year, but it was fun to set up and I think it will
look good when everything grows. I'm always optimistic in the spring.
Theo with a ball in his mouth, Max with a stick.



3 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

It's going to look gorgeous once everything starts popping! I think you will make a gardener out of Rugger:-)

Frodosmom said...

It looks like it will be beautiful!! And the sheps just make it PERFECT!! lol lol Would love to invite myself over to see you guys!!! and the wonderful garden!!!

Brent said...

You are welcome any time.