Monday, May 28, 2018

Old Men - Vince, TJ, Sparky, Trooper, and Me

I will be turning 60 in a couple months, making me the oldest around here. I'm not yet old enough for senior discounts, though, so in that respect at least I'm younger than some of the dogs around here. Trooper had a senior wellness exam the last time he went to the vet. I did a little research on my blog, thanks to Google searches, and found that Trooper came to us in April, 2010, around two years of age, making him about 10 years old now. Sparky came to us in May, 2009, at about a year of age, making him a good 10 years old now too. TJ came with some paperwork showing his date of birth as July, 2005, making him nearly 13 years old. Vince must hold the title though, because we got him in May, 2012, at about 9 years of age, making him a good 15 years old this month.

We are a household of aging males, many of whom need to get up and go outside frequently, but that's ok, most of the time we make it. Trooper had blood work done at the vet a couple weeks ago and everything looked good. I started him back on Previcox, as well as his glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, and it has improved his mobility. He's slow getting started when going downstairs, but once he gets going he makes it without difficulty. Outdoors, he is still the undisputed king of the dog yard and defender of the manse, a role he took over from Gypsy years ago. He also assumed Molly's role as the evaluator and greeter of new foster dogs. He has calmed and settled many of them, Maya included. But big trucks and big birds keep moving along when they hear his bark, and prudent people do as well.












I think Maya would defend me if necessary, but I know without a doubt
that she would lay waste to anything that tried to harm Trooper.





No comments: