Saturday, May 25, 2019

Della

I drove over to Chesterfield Saturday morning to meet and bring home a new Great Dane foster for Green Dogs Unleashed. Her name was Ella but that name is currently in use with Green Dogs so I'm calling her Dame Ella, or simply Della.

They had told us she was good with dogs but scared of people, particularly men. I took a ziplock bag full of turkey in one of my pockets to make up for my gender handicap. It seemed to work. 

She was wary, but she's wary of everything at this point. She liked me fine as the turkey guy. She rode home in a big crate in the back of my van. Once we got home it was clear that she was a little freaked out by all the dogs so we decided to take things slowly. I set her up in a crate in the kitchen and let her just hang out for the afternoon and observe. 

She didn't like it when I left the room so I puttered in the kitchen, made some soup and mopped the floor. Since then we've tried dog introductions again and she was more willing to participate this time. No real problems but she will snarl a bit if a dog gets too invasive. My guys are pretty good and they know when to back off. Right now she's laying on a big dog bed next to me and Serena is in the big Dane crate. We will take it slow and give her some time and space but I don't really have any doubt that she'll come around. 

She's about two years old. She's obviously had puppies in the past and we are more than a little concerned that she might be pregnant again now. I feel like a dad with a teenage daughter. That's not a good feeling.  














1 comment:

Irene Hunter said...

no EPT tests for dogs? She's very regal.