Saturday, May 11, 2019

Duke, living the life of Riley


This is Duke when I first met him at the shelter.
It's impossible to predict the course of a dog's life after adoption. We do all we can to make sure the dog goes to a good home who can and will provide love and care for the dog as part of the family. Most dogs, like most people, live relatively ordinary lives and that's fine. Dogs don't need anything more, most people don't either. 

I was in bed last night when I read an email from the adopter of Duke, a male GSD, who had been adopted back in 2010. Duke's life has been anything but ordinary. 

Duke was a gorgeous young shepherd I had pulled from the Greene County shelter in January, 2010. The story I got was that he had been surrendered because his owners couldn't afford to care for him. I adopted him to a couple that I wouldn't have seriously considered except for the fact that they came with the best possible recommendation from people I knew and trusted. The reason I wouldn't have considered them is that they had one young child and a newborn baby. That's the scenario for a lot of dogs who are surrendered, not an ideal situation for adopting a new young dog. But, like I said, they came with an excellent and trusted recommendation, as well as experience with the breed, a fenced yard, crate, and common sense. I took a chance and I'm glad I did.

When I got to the shelter Duke was being walked by a
volunteer who had only great things to say about him.
My first email from them came more than three years later, after they had moved to Australia, with Duke. He had adopted the newborn child as his own personal charge and was inseparable from him. I have to think that kid is lucky to have grown up with a shepherd as a big brother. Duke had the experience of living in the Outback for a few years and learning about kangaroos. They were able to take him to their favorite restaurant once a week and Duke charmed many people. 

Duke came to us in January and we had some
big snows that winter.
The email last night informed me that they had moved back to the U.S. for a few years but then had moved again, this time to England. Immediately I became not just happy for Duke, but jealous as well. He's now 12 years old and he enjoys walks on trails through the countryside, farmers' markets, and weekend fairs. He's popular in the local pub, of course, and pub owner (who has huskies) brings him sausages from the kitchen. 

Clearly I should have told the adopters that Duke and I came as a package deal. Although Duke's life is one for the record books in terms of international travel and experiences, the best thing about it is that he was adopted by people who committed to him and made him a part of the family. That is what makes a good adoption, all the rest is just so many extra sausages. 





This is Duke with his baby brother after adoption.


I'm guessing that's the cathedral in Ely in the background
with Duke and his family.



Duke, on a walk through the English countryside.

2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

Makes my heart happy to know that people understand the commitment they are making when they adopt a dog. That being said- he has more stamps on his passport than I do:-)

Anonymous said...

What an exciting life Duke has led. Maybe he'll write a book about it. He's a lucky boy.