Thursday, November 14, 2019

Kaiser

I took Kaiser walking with Maya today. She's a good influence on him and the rope harness is a real help with him too. I'm beginning to wonder why I still have Kaiser. Back in the old days (sorry to sound like an old fart), when I would go to an adoption event with VGSR up in Gainesville, if I showed up with a dog like Kaiser they would have been all over him as soon as I got him out of the van. We would have been on the grassy median in the parking lot and might never have made it over to the sidewalk where the event was happening. There would have been multiple people wanting to adopt this dog.

He's young (two years), male (the boys are always more popular with adopters), pure bred shepherd. He's not the biggest shepherd but he's well put together and that red and black coat with the white on the belly and inside of his legs is just plain pretty. He's house trained and crate trained. He's good with other dogs. He reportedly lived with a small dog in his prior home. He will bond like epoxy, that is to say, like a shepherd. Aside from needing a bit more basic training on a leash, I really don't have anything bad to say about him. I won't say that he's a perfect dog, but he's damn good raw material and he's too good to be sticking around here for long. I talked to a couple former adopters that I could think of, but none were really ready for him at the moment.

His coat and coloring couldn't be prettier.


Notice the lack of a well-defined trail in front of them? This is a new trail
segment and the mountain bikers and horseback riders don't seem to us it yet.
I like it but it's not easy to follow, especially at this time of year. I asked Maya
to lead the way and she did, flawlessly of course, even when Kaiser
wandered off the trail. 

The trail is easier to follow here and he stuck to the trail very well. Mostly he stuck close to
Maya, which shows good judgment.










3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you near Staunton?

Brent said...

We are located a little east of Charlottesville.

Rachel said...

He seems like a great guy! Hopefully he'll choose the perfect people soon.