Sunday, August 2, 2020

That was better

When are Sundays ever better than Saturdays? Even if it doesn't mean the horror or tedium of going to church, it's the end of the weekend and another day closer to going back to work. However, none of the Sunday drawbacks are applicable to me, and I made better use of the day than I had with the Saturday. That made it a better day in my book.

We didn't see much wildlife, but Maya
spotted this guy early in our first hike.
Maya and I went to Bear Creek Lake State Park, not too far from here over in Cumberland county. I hadn't been there before and since I have more free time at the moment, I don't really have to limit myself to the nearest park for walking. It's a pretty little lake, nice swimming beach, camping spots and cabins, and it's part of the Cumberland State Forest. There are a couple of long trails that run through the forest, but they aren't loop routes, which is problematic for me as a solo hiker. We did find two loop trails, one on each side of the lake, totaling a little over five miles.

That was a good distance for us and I know my legs are feeling it this evening. I upped my productivity for the day by giving baths to Maya, Max, and Theo after we got back home this afternoon. A productive day is a good day. I hate to feel useless.






The recent rains have brought up a lot
of mushrooms. We saw many varieties.
These were the prettiest.


Maya is getting older, but she is my best hiking partner. She knew we were on new trails and was
excited by it. The three- and two-mile hikes, with a break between them were perfect for us today.

Max is blowing his coat and needed a bath.
Using a rake style brush on wet fur, I removed
a LOT of loose hair that would have been
shed in the house.




Theo's coat wasn't in need of a bath as much
as Max's, but he's a shepherd, so . . .
If 90+ degree days are good for anything,
it's for washing dogs. I got as wet as they did
and none of us much minded it.


This was our first hike at Bear Creek Lake State Park.
It was about 3.25 miles.

Our second hike was on the other side of the lake
where the cabins are located. It was under two miles,
giving us a total of a little over five miles.
It was enough for today.

No comments: