Thursday, April 15, 2021

Black dogs and green grass

I don't know when I've had three black foster dogs at the same time, but this is the perfect time of year for it. Black dogs are notoriously difficult to photograph, but green grass on a sunny day makes about the best possible background. We had a lot of clouds today, but later this afternoon the sun came out. I took seven dogs to the pasture to run. It was Callie's first appearance in the pasture and only the second for Greta. Thor has been out there many times chasing Betty White. In addition to those four fosters, Della and Serena joined us, along with Max. 

It was Greta's second time out since her unauthorized walkabout and I still kept a 6' leash on her but I just let her drag it around and she really didn't need it at all because she was very close to me most of the time. Partly that shows her forming the German Shepherd bond with me, but also she's still a bit insecure with other dogs. It was really her first time with Callie and only her second time with Thor. She followed me closely and if she got very far away she would always come when I called, but she also interacted with the other dogs more this time. 

Betty White and Thor ran circles around the pasture but then Thor sort of broke off and followed me around with Callie and Greta. It was a good outing for everyone and I got some good pictures.

Thor, rampant pose

Thor chasing Betty White with Callie joining in, carefully not running into Della.


This is Callie, the new lab. She's a nice girl. 

Thor, Callie, and then Greta

Greta is the one with the leash attached and it helps identify her,
but I don't really think she's much of a flight risk anymore. 
She's pretty comfortable here and she's getting a lot of food.

I'm not sure Greta really knew how to act around other dogs,
but coming here is a crash course in that subject and she's doing very well with it.

Greta (left) and Thor

ID tips: Greta with leash and bare skin on nose, Thor with one wonky ear,
Callie is the lab, red collar, thick tail.

Betty White and Thor seem to be good friends.



Della and Greta

That's Greta sniffing Callie's butt.

Callie in the buttercups








Thor under the dogwood tree in the pasture










Thor and Callie, up and running again

Greta


No comments: