Sunday, April 25, 2021

My days with Max and Maya

The adoptions of Betty White and Thor happened on Saturday morning. Rain was forecast for later in the day, but that still left me with several hours to do some outdoor work. Della and Theo are laid up and Serena stays with Della. I can't let Maya out loose in the yard, so that just left me with Max to keep me company. I did some mowing and Max is the only dog, lame or not, who follows me as I mow. Then I did some planting in various parts of my container garden. Max isn't always close by, but he always has eyes on me. I have to make sure Max always has a stick in his mouth or he will try to grab one of my tools. There's enough fallen sticks in the yard that it's never too hard for me to find one, but they seem to be very difficult for him to find. He drops them randomly, wanders off, and then can't find a stick when he needs one. Max may be crazy but his core is pure shepherd so he makes pretty good company, although you can't talk to him like I can most any other dog. 

After the rain Saturday evening, things were quite wet on Sunday so I decided to wait on doing any more mowing or planting and took Maya out for a hike instead. It had been a while and we were both needing it. It was great hiking weather and I stuck to trails that avoided most of the mud. We went a good five miles and she's napping this afternoon and I'm wishing I could join her.






That's a hose, not a black snake.

The flamingo garden should be nice this year. I'm planting primarily
cannas in the back and lantana in the front, with a few other things as well.



I planted that willow oak when we moved here, 21 years ago this month.

I submit that buttercups are the happiest flowers on earth. 
The effect is lost on Della at the moment, however.


Maya was happy to be hitting the trails again today.





Maya is really good about hopping up onto benches or tables
for photo opportunities when I ask.

I took this picture and submitted it to a Virginia mushroom identification group
on Facebook and had an almost immediate response. 
It is Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae in case you were wondering.





No comments: