Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Delgado and Callie arrive, Maya has issues

I had a lot of work to do yesterday, couldn't even consider getting out for a run in the pasture, much less a hike, but we took in two new dogs. I'm tapering down off the course of steroids that brought the poison ivy rash under control, but the extra boost of energy was welcome and needed on a day like that. The good thing is that both the new dogs seem very nice and were easily integrated into the pack. 

First it was Delgado, a male German Shepherd Dog, who arrived early in the afternoon. He's not really our dog yet. He's with Dogs Deserve Better - Blue Ridge (DDB-BR), a wonderful group that took him in to help out a woman who is currently homeless. They took two dogs, Delgado and his sister, and put them in a boarding kennel. The two dogs were siblings and had lived together all their lives, most recently in a small RV from which the owner was recently evicted. However, the dogs stressed out in the kennel, which is normal and common, especially for shepherds separated from their owner. A fight broke out and poor Delgado got the worst of it by far. He landed at a vet and ended up needing to have one of his toes amputated. He couldn't go back where he had been, obviously, and vet boarding is expensive so he came here. The deal made between the owner and DDB-BR is that they would care for the dogs for 30 days, after which they are surrendered to be adopted if the owner hasn't been able to find a place for herself and the dogs. 

I'm not sure how far we are into the 30 days, but Delgado is here for a while anyway and he seems like a nice boy. He met most everyone during the course of the day and evening and had no problems. Because of the condition of his foot, I can't really put him out into one of the fenced areas, so he has joined the ranks of the mostly indoor pack along with Greta, our other recent arrival.

Greta is definitely improving. She's now seeking out contact and attention. Yesterday she came upstairs on her own for the first time to be closer to me during the day. She has staked out the landing at the top of the stairs as her spot, with her head positioned so she's looking at me in the office. That's where she is again this morning as I'm writing this from my office.

The other new arrival came just as it was getting dark Tuesday evening. I don't prefer evening arrivals because introducing a new dog when we are trying to wind down for the evening always gets everyone hyped up, and it doesn't give the new dog a chance to settle in before bed. But sometimes these things can't be helped. 

Her name is Callie and she's a black lab, about two years old. She will be available for adoption through Green Dogs Unleashed after she's spayed. Callie came from another dysfunctional family situation but she's fairly young and I hope and believe that her inherent labness will enable her to overcome it. She's a bit head shy but took treats nicely and warms up quickly to anyone handing them out. We brought another crate into the kitchen area for her last night and she barked in there for a while but finally calmed down and went to sleep with help from some trazadone. This morning she was ready to meet the world. I put her out in Daneland with Thor and Betty White and she immediately started scouting out the place with nose down and tail up high. I just went out to check on them again and all three dogs were together looking like a nice, happy play group. I'm glad this one is a fully functional lab who can enjoy being outside during the day with friends. 

The funny thing about these two new dogs is Maya's reaction to them. Maya met them both and had no issues with them, just as she had met Greta a few days prior. But after meeting them, she turned to me and gave me a proper talking to. She was perfectly cordial to the new dogs; her issue was clearly with me. It was hilarious and there was no doubt that she was telling me that we didn't need this many new dogs here, certainly not this close together, and I needed to find something else to do with my time. I'm afraid Maya has become rather judgmental and her judgment finds me failing. I will have to do something to suck up to her. Fortunately she can't seem to hold a grudge against me. 

Delgado is a good looking shepherd, and certainly not underweight.
He favors that foot and leg a bit, but does bear weight on it.


I walked him around the yard at first, and here he's meeting Greta and Della. 

Head shot of Delgado, and Arby's nose.

He's a nice, happy boy. You can see some of the damage on his
left front leg. I'm purposely not showing a close up of the foot right now.


Delgado and Maya doing the butt-sniffing circle greeting.

Theo, Maya, Delgado

Delgado and Greta meeting in the a/c yard.

Callie


Callie taking treats from Clay. 


Callie meeting Delgado.

Meeting Maya

Callie in her crate, Della came down and barked at her just to set things straight.

Callie meeting Theo.


Maya: "Enough already, this is getting out of hand."
"Give it a rest or I'm calling your friends for an intervention."



No comments: