Friday, April 16, 2021

Greta's first authorized walk in the woods

Greta is becoming a true German Shepherd Dog. She is becoming more comfortable with things around here every day. She spends all day inside, she eats very well, and she has learned to use a crate at night. She gets along well with all the other dogs and she's become more attached to me every day, or maybe Clay. She seems to split her time between upstairs where I am during the day and downstairs with Clay.

Today Maya and I took her on a three mile hike. Greta needs body weight so I don't want to burn calories off her, but she also needs to build muscle and endurance. She's eating plenty to handle a hike so I'm hoping she will turn it into lean muscle. 

I don't know anything about her history really, but she was the easiest "new" dog that Maya and I have taken on the trails. She stuck close, no pulling, but also no lagging. She was good about the leash and didn't ever walk around the wrong side of a tree like so many dogs do their first time on the trails in the woods. We encountered some other people, some other dogs, she didn't seem concerned about anything. 

I think she enjoyed it. I know Maya and I did, it's the first time in a couple weeks that we've been out for a good hike. The greening of the woods is well underway, but there are still native redbuds and dogwoods in bloom, as well as many wild flowers. 






















No comments: