Friday, June 4, 2021

The big hairy house guest

You may remember him as Mowgli, a/k/a the big hairy beast, a Bernese Mountain Dog that we fostered back in the beginning of the COVID era. He was that rare beast who preferred men over women after living his first year with a crazy drunk old lady. He was adopted to much loved former adopters and he is now called Cosmo. He's here for just until Sunday evening this time but he will be back with us for a good part of July now that people can and are traveling again. 

They had brought him out a couple weeks ago just so we could get acquainted again. When he arrived Thursday he knew me but he wasn't interested in me, he was completely bonded to his new owner. He sat by the door for much of that first afternoon and I considered him a flight risk and treated him accordingly. That was tough, however, because he wouldn't use the a/c yard and insisted on going out on a leash to do his business. His attitude changed by Friday morning, however, and he was once again "my" dog, temporarily of course. Once Cosmo trusted me I trusted him in return and could take him out to the yard without a leash, but with supervision, and he was able to join us in the pasture for a good run. He's very much a house dog and isn't overly interested in the outdoors for it's own sake. He will follow me out there but he was happy to follow me back into the house too. He's got to be one of the most photogenic dogs I've ever had. 

He's still got a happy face.

Some of the dogs had met him before but the current batch of fosters were all new.




It's not hard to catch Bruno in an "up ears" pose.
It seems to be the rule rather than the exception.









Berners are magnificent beasts.





No comments: