Saturday, March 19, 2022

Miles for smiles

Della and I both needed a walk today and for pretty much the same reason - the antidepressant effect of exercise. The morning remained cloudy, however, and I couldn't get myself motivated. The sun finally came out in the afternoon and I pushed myself out the door taking Della for a long hike at Pleasant Grove. 

I debated going elsewhere, but couldn't find a justification for burning the gas it would take to get somewhere new or different. Pleasant Grove is close and I know the trails. I wasn't feeling that adventurous or motivated, I just needed to get out and go. I chose an easy route without a lot of elevation change over well-used trails that had been cleared from the storm damage. Nevertheless, the first two miles were brutal because I haven't walked at all in at least a week. It was then that I decided to make this a five mile hike. I knew that after the first two miles my legs would be warmed up and I could carry on as long as my motivation held out. 

We didn't meet anyone on the trails and I only put the short leash on Della's head halter once, when we spotted an off-leash dog on the trail coming towards us. We made a turn and avoided that encounter, and the only other moments of high excitement were spotting a couple of deer and some squirrels. 

It has been a while since I did five miles so I know I'll be feeling it tomorrow. Della is sacked out in her crate this evening. We'll go again tomorrow to keep my legs from tightening up, but probably not as far. It's time I started doing some spring cleanup yardwork too, but right now that task is too daunting for me to face. If I don't walk through the part of the yard with a healthy stand of fescue I can still pretend that the grass hasn't started growing.







There was a bench conveniently located at the three mile mark.
I stopped and sat for a bit.







Five miles is my longest hike in quite a while.




No comments: