Saturday, March 5, 2022

Saturday with Serena

I am pretty much focused solely on Serena right now. Watching her, trying to find something she will eat or drink, trying to gauge her condition and quality of life. Last night and this morning I was about to say it was time, but the vet isn't open on Saturday and I didn't really want to go through euthanasia with a complete stranger. That last part is a bit of a selfish "me" consideration, I'm not sure it would have mattered to the dog. I had the option of one vet with weekend hours at least so I adopted a "wait and see" posture. At some point late morning she did eat and drink some of the chicken and rice and chicken broth combo I had whipped up last night. And she got up and came outside with us with Sharen came over with Maddie for a run. 

I had to stop Serena on a couple of occasions from taking off on a run for the fence as she likes to do. The fact that I was able to stop her verbally means that she knew her leg still wasn't really up for a mad dash across the pasture. But she enjoyed sniffing around out there. She interacted with the other dogs, but mostly went back and forth between Sharen and me for head rubs and petting. 

I made another batch of chicken and rice late this afternoon. I ate most of it myself, but Serena consumed some as well, along with some chicken broth. We'll just take it day-by-day.

It was a beautiful day and Serena enjoyed being out in the pasture with us.




Maddie even tries to play with Max.

She has much better luck getting River to play and she's the only dog he has ever really played with.


She can easily outrun him, but that's no fun. She runs circles and keeps him engaged.





I think humans really lost something when we dropped the tail.














As much as I love Serena, it's Della who will sustain the biggest loss when she's gone.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If love alone could sustain life, dogs would live forever.