Thursday, March 24, 2022

Distance and indifference

I am not a fan of rainy days. If I could, I would retreat to a brightly lit subterranean lair only to emerge after being assured by multiple sources that the rain was over and the sun had returned. I'd have artificial turf in one underground room that the dogs could use until we were all prepared to rejoin the surface dwellers. I don't have such a place, so I've just shut myself in my office as much as possible for the past few days. I've had a lot of work this week so I guess the timing was good anyway; I wasn't the least bit tempted to do anything else. 

This evening, however, I loaded up Bonnie and Della and we made a trip to town. I had a couple errands to do and Bonnie needed to meet Portia, Clay's mother's cat. Della wasn't really an essential part of this trip, but try explaining that to her when she's bored from doing nothing for the past two days. 

Bonnie was completely clueless about the cat. I doubt that she had ever seen one. Portia gave her a few smacks upside her head, which didn't hurt her (no claws), but they did put Bonnie off. That's probably the best thing she could have done and hopefully Bonnie's takeaway from the experience was just to leave cats alone. That's the ideal dog/cat relationship, I think. When I see pictures of dogs and cats snuggling together I think that's great, but it's a bit much to hope for. Distance and indifference is enough for a successful feline/canine relationship. 

Bonnie took treats from Berta, played with the cat's toy, and then I figured we should quit while we were ahead. Della came inside and got a few more treats herself so she didn't feel left out.



Bonnie was more interested in the scratching post with the
ball on top than she was in the cat anyway.

The cat was good, didn't use her claws, but she did back her off with a few smacks.

Bonnie preferred Berta over her cat.




No comments: