Friday, November 9, 2018

Back into the woods

We haven't had a really hard freeze yet to kill all the ticks, but it's fall, the nicest time of year for hiking, so I've started going back into the woods. These pictures were from sometime last week when it was relatively dry and the sun was shining. We had some nice days before the mud weather set in again and I hope we will have some more.

Serena really enjoys getting out and going.
I need to get back to the trails to get in some longer distances and to work my legs on varied terrain. The roadways at the park are pretty much level. I could definitely feel the difference in my legs after just a couple hikes on the trails.

Maya and Serena are going to be my main hiking companions. Serena seems to be smart enough to pick up what she needs to know from Maya. I just hope she doesn't share Maya's drive to hunt and chase deer. Years ago I used to walk with Emmylou and Molly. They were a great duo on the trails. Emmylou knew every inch of those trails, much as Maya does now. Molly would mark all the trail crossings, like she didn't quite trust either of us to find our way back.


I'm pretty much in love with this girl. Her muzzle, ears, her
entire body is incredibly soft, and she's mostly pretty gentle.
Maya is either the best teacher and role model a dog could
have, or possibly the worst. She will be good for Serena, but
it may or may not be good for me.

Maya always models good walking behavior for the other
dogs, but Serena seems to actually pay attention to it.




Maya is a hunter. I hope Serena will be more of a casual
walker and sightseer. 









Serena watches and she's learning a lot, but she doesn't do
typical dog things like "sit." I haven't taught her that and
neither has Maya. It's not really used a lot around here.







Summer floods moved this little bridge about
30 yards downstream from it's original location.











My girls.


No comments: