Monday, November 19, 2018

The Magical Power of Maya

We've had Maya for about six years now. I can honestly say she's the smartest dog we've ever had. Sometimes she uses her powers for good, sometimes not, but her ability should never be underestimated. I have certainly learned many of the things she can do but she continues to surprise and amaze me. It turns out that her influence extends to other dogs even more than I knew.

Saturday was a beautiful day and we took advantage of it, doing three two-mile walks, all of which included Maya along with another dog or two. On Sunday I did a three mile walk with Maya, Diesel, and Theo. Clay was home so I left Maya with him for the next three miler and took just the two Danes -- Sweet Serena and Clyde. I had walked each of the Danes separately, with Maya, the day before and they both walked nicely on the leash, no pulling, no problem. I wanted to take the two Danes out together, which I hadn't done before, but I wasn't sure I wanted to handle three dogs, so I left Maya at home. Maya's absence was obvious to both the dogs and to me.

Although Maya models good walking behavior, I've never seen her correct a dog on our walks. Still, her presence clearly affects the others because in her absence the Danes were a bit wild and unruly. I got things under control, but it required a lot more effort than it does when Maya is around. I can only conclude that she has influence over other dogs that is not apparent to mere humans.














Theo the Great






Diesel occasionally eats mud, which is why
his nose is always brown. I'm feeding him a
cup of food and half a can of green beans
twice a day. He wants more.

In addition to eating shoe laces, Diesel
chewed through his leash on the short
drive from home to Pleasant Grove
where to started the walk.




Diesel did the three mile walk, which was good
for him, but he was happy to lay about the
rest of the day.



Sweet Serena and Clyde

These pictures of Serena and Clyde were taken after they
had settled down on our walk. I had my hands full keeping
them under control before then.

Clyde was very well behaved in the van.







No comments: