Monday, November 19, 2018

Thanks in advance of Thanksgiving


The first shepherd we adopted from VGSR was originally named Jag, after some stupid car. She became our Gypsy, Queen of the Universe, and ruled around here with four iron paws for many years. Gypsy was quite happy that we were gay because she would brook no competition for her position as alpha female of the household. She was our intro to Virginia German Shepherd Rescue and to her foster mom, a woman named Risa.

I'm not sure if Risa is part of, or just knows someone who is involved with a group called GSD Lovers on Ravelry, a social networking site for a variety of fiber arts. However it happened, this group of knitters are also shepherd lovers and they follow my blog. Several years ago they made and then raffled off a beautiful afghan and donated the proceeds to Clay and me and our little rescue operation. I was recently informed that they are doing it again.

It's incredibly kind and generous of this group and I really appreciate it. Because the connection came through Risa, it's also a continuing connection to her and to our Gypsy.

Gypsy never really approved of this rescue and fostering business. Being a female shepherd she would have preferred us to spend all our time and attention on her. But she took on the job of monitoring all the foster dogs, and all the household dogs, and she provided home security against myriad threats, including hot air balloons and low hanging moons. She was a bitch and she owned the title and wore it proudly. She taught us that a female German Shepherd is not just the gender opposite of the male shepherd, she is her own breed. I miss her still.



Here's the info that was provided to me on how to buy raffle tickets if you are interested in doing so:

***HANDKNIT AFGHAN RAFFLE***
Just in time for the holidays, buy some chances to win this beautiful handknit afghan made by the GSD Lovers group on Ravelry! Details:
1. Chances are $2 each or three for $5. You can mail me a check (message me for address), use my paypal link (see below), or hand over cash :-) If we do not know each other and you use the paypal link, please put some sort of contact information in the notes so I can get in touch with you if you win.
2. Afghan is made from easy care wool/acrylic blend yarns and is approximately 5 feet wide by 6 feet long. Machine wash warm on permanent press, tumble dry low. No bleach.
3. I will track all chances purchased in a spreadsheet and draw the winner via random number generator.
4. Drawing will take place on Saturday December 8 at 6 p.m. EST.
5. Afghan proceeds will go to support vadogrescue.blogspot.com, a couple who do incredible fostering and adopting work in Virginia. They are NOT a not-for-profit so your purchased chances will not be tax deductible.
Buy early, buy often, and good luck!!! Thank you for supporting us and the work of rescuers everywhere <3

And here are some pictures of the afghan they have made:








3 comments:

Risa said...

Yes, I knit. And everything I knit has GSD hair in it.
I didn't make a square for either afghan because I am a slow knitter and this having a job takes up way too much of my time.

I am grateful to be connected to you through memories of Gypsy, and also of the late lamented Fluffimus Maximus (Max) who you brought to me.

This is the way knitting goes....connecting the world together one stitch at a time.

Tanya2 said...

Thanks to all the followers here who have contributed today! We are on track to raise far more than we did last time - it's very exciting to see all the support <3

Judy Carey Nevin said...

Risa—I paid $10 just now, but forgot to provide details. I’m careynev on Ravelry, and my Gmail account is very similar.