Saturday, February 5, 2011

Flexibility

It is best not to carve your plans in stone.  Last week I had pretty much committed to taking in a female shepherd from the Culpeper shelter.  I couldn't get up there until Friday, however, and I heard on Thursday that she had been adopted.  Fine, I hope it was a good home.  On Friday a man called the VGSR hotline needing to give up a dog that day because he was moving.  (I won't say anything about that, this says it all.) 

Anyway, he took the dog to be evaluated by one of our volunteers up that way who said she was a nice dog but he wasn't in a position to foster her now himself.  I talked to the owner on the phone when I was home between vet appointments Friday afternoon and we tentatively planned to meet up in Culpeper Friday evening about 9:00 p.m., because I wouldn't be getting home from yesterday's second vet appointment until after 7:00.
 

As I was leaving the vet with Gypsy and Bremo, someone in the office put the fear of Dog in me with news about a winter storm headed our way starting out that evening as freezing rain, so I really didn't want to drive to Culpeper after dark. 

Calls were made and the dog ended up staying with another volunteer up in Warrenton that night and he met me this morning in Culpeper with the dog, Tesa.  So I didn't make it over to Richmond to the adoption event today, but at least now I have a real foster shepherd to take to the next one. 

She's a sweet, petite little thing, seems very nice.  She didn't like being in a kennel by herself, so I put her into the dog yard and she and Max seem to be hitting it off.  She's young, said to be 2.5 years old, but she doesn't really act or look it.  I have a couple possibilities in mind for her.  She's lived with children, apparently as a housedog, she crated without problem last night, and she may even be ok with cats.  A dog like that should have plenty of options. 

Ok, I said I wasn't going to say anything about it, but don't you have to wonder what the guy was thinking when he knew he was moving that day and had done nothing about making arrangements for a dog that he couldn't take with him?  Was he going to take the dog out and shoot it?  Dump it along a highway to fend for herself?  Both happen.  It boggles the mind. 

1 comment:

Coffee said...

Tesa is stunning. And the video link is simultaneously hysterically funny and, because it is so true, nearly suicidally depressing. How is that even possible?