Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bonding

I got up early and knocked off most all of my work by noon in order to make a trip to town today.  I needed to stop at the vet's office to pick up Bremo's thyroid meds and I took the new girl, Tessa, along for some much needed bonding time.  She gets along fine with the other dogs but she's still a bit timid and shy with me.  In fact, I have to chase her into the shed she shares with Flirt, Jeremy, and Max when it's time to put everyone to bed at night.  Last night Flirt came out, saw the problem, and helped me round her up and run her in.  I hadn't really spent any one-on-one time with her yet, so we did today.

First we went to the CASPCA to meet people and cats.  She was a little shy with strangers at first, so it's not just me.  I don't think she's been out and about much in her life.  She was interested in the cat but not aggressive.  I was told that she would give chase if a cat ran and I'm sure she would, but I don't think she's really interested in catching one.  The cat didn't seem to consider her a threat and cats are generally pretty good judges of a dog's intentions.  Still, I'd prefer she go to a cat-less home just to eliminate that issue as a possible problem.

I stopped at Starbucks to do some long-neglected paperwork with coffee and a donut and then we went to Darden-Towe park for a walk.

Leash walking is a great way, probably the best way, to bond with a dog and develop that trusting relationship.  It was a windy day so the air was full of random scents, but she was really pretty attentive.  She looked at me, and looked to me for guidance, which is key. 

We met geese on a drainage pond, which elicited about the same reaction as the SPCA cat. 

She is scheduled to be spayed on Thursday so she'll be moving indoors after that.  The crating experience will help her adoption prospects and bring her closer to me as well.  I'd love to find her a home and move her out of here this coming weekend.  She needs a new home and I have others waiting for her spot.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Someone will fall in love with Tessa soon. Would could resist those beautiful eyes?

Living the life in The Little City said...

She's very pretty. I'm sure someone will want to adopt her right away.