Monday, February 21, 2011

A day off

The weekend was busy but uneventful in terms of adoptions.  Saturday I went with Animal Connections out to Cooper Vineyards, which was having a Mardi Gras event. I did meet some folks who may be interested in Flirt, but I thought at that point that I already had a fairly firm and likely placement for Flirt.

Saturday evening I got a call and learned that the folks who I hoped would take Flirt couldn't do so after all.  However, they knew of someone else who was interested in meeting her. 
Sunday I loaded up Flirt, Shadow, and Jeremy and we went to a VGSR adoption event in Front Royal.  Shortly after we arrived Flirt left on a home visit with her new prospect.  They had a cat, but Flirt walked in, looked at the cat, and went out about her business.  I brought Flirt back home, but they are interested in adopting her, so I need to call them back and figure out how we can make that happen. 

Lucky got neutered on Saturday and stayed home on Sunday, although someone did come to the house to meet him.  I don't think he was feeling too good yet and the two dogs didn't really hit it off, so I think I now need to look at and consider the dozen or so other people who are interested in him.  He's staying indoors now mostly because he needs to get over his fear of us and he seems much better about that when he's inside. 

I had two good emails today, letting me know that Bubba and Tessa (the second Tessa), are both doing well in their new homes. 

As the title of this post indicates, I didn't work today so I got busy on a couple of kennel improvement projects around here, rebuilding two a-frames with new siding and generally reinforcing them, and building a new one from scratch.

The a-frames are great in conjunction with igloo doghouses.  With a solid back, they are great with an igloo facing into it.  The a-frame acts as a baffle, keeping cold wind out of the entrance of the igloo.  I fill it with straw as well, so the dog can burrow into the straw to make a bed or retreat into the igloo if it's really cold.  One a-frame is open on both ends so I just point two igloos into it, making a nice cozy place for two dogs who can still be near each other. 


The two labs, Shadow and Sunny, share this kennel complex with Buddy during the day.  Shadow insists upon coming indoors at night.  Shadow will need to be an only dog or have a female canine companion.  He's not good with male dogs generally and surprisingly, he seems to hate puppies. He and Sunny are a well matched pair though.  They play rough, but she's tough enough to play with him hard.  He plays fine with Trooper, too, but I noticed today that Buddy had a wound on  his leg that I'm sure he got from a fight with Shadow. 

No comments: