Thursday, February 24, 2011

High anxiety

I took the new shepherd girl, Rita, to the vet today.  To say that she is merely "vocal" would be a gross understatement.  I could not be accused of hyperbole if I said that she screams hysterically.  Don't let these pictures fool you.  Yes, she can and will sit, look at the camera, and give good face.  When she's not doing that, however, she is whining, screaming, jumping, and generally acting like a bundle of highly stressed nerves.  I actually got some anxiety medication for her, but I'm not sure whether to give to her or take it myself.  I'm hoping that after a couple more days, more exercise, and a regular routine, she will settle down and relax a bit.  Ok, I hope she will relax a lot. 

The good news is that she's really a sweet girl, friendly to all, good with the other dogs, and she settled down and was quiet in the shed last night with Jeremy and Flirt.  Her compatibility with the other dogs, and the fact that she hasn't jumped the dog yard fence, means she can stay there and go into that shed at night.  She pooped in there last night, but I hope that was due to the stress and the Panacure and that she will realize that no one else relieves themselves in there.  Her hysterics are not constant either, just when she sees me.  She really wants and needs human contact.  That makes me think that she will be a really great dog.

She got vaccinated today, checked for parasites and heartworms (both negative), and had a general exam.  One ear has a yeast infection, as I suspected.  One eye is cloudy and the vet said that it had "ulcers" on it.  Not sure what that is due to, but we got some antibiotic ointment to help them heal up.  She does seem to see out of that eye without problem, however.  There was no obvious spay scar but it also does not appear that she has had puppies.  We have a spay appointment for next Monday.  I hope to get Lucky adopted out this weekend.  There are many people interested in him, which makes my decision difficult, but I think I know where I'd like him to go.  When he's out, Rita will come indoors and occupy his crate in the office, which she will have to do on Monday after her spay anyway. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Two whiskeys for you, two xanax for Rita, and call me in the morning.