Saturday, February 12, 2011

One day, one dog

I expected Tessa to have a lot of interest and she did.  Although I always tell people that I don't adopt out on a first-come, first-served basis, it happened that way in this case.  The first inquiry I had about her was the most enthusiastic, and the most likely to work out, and the most ready, willing, and able adopter.  I needed to move her this weekend because Lucky is coming early next week and the Goochland dog could happen any time.  There were ready for her, and nearby (Richmond), so it was easy to make this happen today. 

Along with the new home came a new brother, a male shepherd pup. Tessa weighs only 35 pounds so he already outweighs her, but fortunately she has a couple of years on him and the necessary female attitude to get him in line before he outgrows her by too much. 

Tessa got spayed on Thursday, which is always rough.  She finally ate on Friday evening after getting a pain killer in her so she felt better.  This morning she seemed good, ate normally, and wanted to get out and play.  The adopter works at a vet hospital, a good one, so Tessa is in good hands.  They have cats, no kids, a big fenced backyard, and the house is set up to accomodate the animals.  I'm certain that's its a big improvement in Tessa's standard of living, which is what I like to see with any adoption.

Tomorrow, I'm taking Jeremy, Flirt, Shadow, and Max to a VGSR adoption event.  Only Jeremy is a VGSR dog, but I need to find an outlet for adoption of my non-shepherd fosters.  I'm hoping that we will get to meet someone who is known to be interested in Flirt.  She is really looking and feeling better.  I saw her playing in the dog yard with Trooper this evening when I was out scooping poop.  If I can't find a way to get these non-shepherds adopted, I'm going to stop taking them in.  Animal Connections is next to useless for me any more, so I'm looking for a new all-breed rescue group, or maybe it's time I formed my own.

1 comment:

Sue said...

That female attitude will get Tessa far!