Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Laying low

I've been sort of slacking off since getting Biscuit adopted.  Flirt came back of course, and I'm working on fattening her up again. She's getting three meals a day now and it's beginning to show.  Over the course of the day she's consuming at least two raw chicken backs, about 2 cups of Zachary's raw food diet, probably 6 cups of dry food, and about a cup or so of my Satin Balls mixture. I'll take her to the vet's office to check her weight either Thursday or Friday.  Her ribs are smoothed over with some flesh now, and the vertebrae in her back are less pronounced.

She's certainly happy, loves her big straw bed, and gives me a kiss when I bring her food, even before she eats it.  I'm hoping that maybe in another week or so we can schedule the surgery to remove that fatty tumor on her belly and do a dental cleaning.

The picture below was taken when we had that little bit of snow last week.  Everyone loved getting out to play in it.  I am very happy that we haven't had any big snow this year, however, and I hope that continues.  I may be losing my memory for many things, but last year's deep snow and power outages will stick in my head for a long, long time.

Background left to right: Max, Trooper, and Molly
Foreground: Zachary, Flirt
Here is Molly (top platform) and Trooper (lower platform) in their preferred outdoor eating spots.  Trooper uses the platforms a lot and is usually laying on the lower one during the day.  Molly likes to eat up there.  Both dogs leap to their spots when I come out with food dishes.  I need to do some work on the lower platform, it is listing badly.  The taller one was better made and it stands solid and secure.

This Saturday is a dog adoption event at Strange's Nursery over on the very west end of Richmond.  I didn't have any plans for the day and it's my favorite nursery anyway, so I think I'll go.  I'm not sure who I'll take, probably Jeremy, Max, and maybe this new guy, Shadow. 

He's a good looking black lab, or mostly black lab, that I just got today.  He came to us via Clay's barber. Telling people that you are involved with dog rescue is a mixed bag.  The downside is that sooner or later everyone knows someone who knows or or has a dog in need. Shadow had been sort of left with the barber by someone who had been living in their home, who then moved out and left the dog behind.  He's in good weight and was being cared for, but wasn't really living the life he needed. 

We were down to 6 fosters at the moment, so it seemed like a good time to take this one in.  I picked him up this afternoon, and he's snoring away in a crate in my office between Trooper and Molly this evening.  He's maybe 4 years old, already neutered, and he's a lab--fat, dumb, and happy. 

1 comment:

Shayna said...

Rocky resembles that fat and happy remark! While at the vet last night I had to put him on the scale and he's porked out to be a chubby 98.5 lbs! I need to get him back down to 95 but it's been tooooo cold to get out much!