Monday, July 4, 2011

Canoe II, Rivanna rapids and herding herons

There were thunderstorms in the area yesterday evening and we had some thunder but little or no rain.  It must have rained upstream, however, because the river was higher and running noticeably faster this morning for my second canoe trip of the season.  I got off a little bit earlier today but not a lot.  It seemed a little early to be drinking beer, but after the first one it didn't matter.  With the river running higher and faster I had less paddling to do, which was fine because I was feeling a bit stiff from yesterday.  The entire width of the river was passable and there were some actual rapids and a moment or two of whitewater out there today. 


There were even fewer people today, one fisherman at the bridge where I put in and a couple at the bridge where I got out, but no one in between.  It was a good day for Great Blue Herons, apparently, because I probably saw more than a dozen of them.  I usually encounter solitary herons but today I saw a pair that were traveling together up the river in front of me.  A third joined in as we entered his territory, and then two more.  Finally the first three doubled back behind me and I expect they spread out again along the river. 

Another nice day but it is getting hot and steamy.  I came home and fed the dogs, did some puttering outdoors and a little mowing.  We are heading to town this afternoon for another birthday dinner (lobster) with Clay's mom and then seeing "Midnight in Paris" before coming back home to watch over the dogs while the neighbors shoot off fireworks.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if it rains again after dark this evening. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect two days....