Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday, of a long, short week

This seems like it's been a long week even though there were only 4 work days in it.  I haven't posted a blog all week, partly because I haven't had anything in particular to say, but mostly because the cord that connects to my camera has been missing.  I'm smart enough to know that without pictures this blog loses a lot of its interest for most folks, and besides, the pictures are usually what I'm writing about. 

I assume that everyone has been so engaged in watching the Casey/Caylee Anthony debacle in Florida this week that no one has missed my blog anyway.  Now, if I may step up onto my soapbox for just a moment.  As far as the outcome of the trial is concerned, I have no opinion and really no interest.  What pisses me off more than anything is the mob mentality that has taken hold.  The other day I saw a piece written by some idiot who said that this case pointed out everything that was wrong with the jury system in this country.  I would argue that this case, flawed as it may be, pointed out everything that is right with the jury system in this country.  Rather than a conviction by a lynch mob whipped into a frenzy by Nancy Grace and her ilk, the case was decided by 12 citizens in a court of law, doing their best to follow the rule of law.  I think that's a good thing.  It's like elections, I'm not always crazy about the outcome, but no one has yet to come up with a better process.  (Steps down from soapbox to continue blog.)

It's been hot and humid this week, raining off and on.  I've just been trying to keep up with work and the dogs and do a bit of yard work and mowing when I can.  I have another new kennel improvement project underway, but nothing that merits a photo at this point. The weather has been good for my container garden so far this year, so I figured I'd get a couple pictures taken while it was still looking good.  The garden expanded the full length of the boxwood hedge this year, got a border made with my Baltimore granite paving stones, and I've covered the ground with rubber mulch!  It's made from recycled tires and the color (red) is supposed to last 15 years.  We will see. It looks nice now anyway.   




I think this is the first week in quite a few that I haven't had dogs coming and going.  I only had one vet trip, today, and that was for two of our own, Bremo and Trooper.  Bremo (left and right) got an exam, lots of loving, some vaccines, and lots of treats.  The vet thought he looked good for a 10 year old dog and congratulated me on keeping him at a good weight (95 pounds). 

Trooper just needed a booster for his Lyme's vaccine.  Trooper is not vet-friendly, or stranger-friendly generally.  I brought him into the room, held his head in a corner, they came in, poked him in the rear and we were out of there without him seeing anyone.  I think he'd be fine with blinders on.  Instead of a muzzle, maybe a bag over his head so he doesn't see it coming. 

There has been plenty of internal movement this week.  I moved the two labs over to the big triple kennel with Gypsy Jr., Odie, and Tessa.  Everyone's cough seems to have resolved, even Clay's.  (Tessa seems fine, I'll see how she does out in public in Gainesville on Sunday.)  Although that makes for three females in one kennel, they are all getting along well.  The rottweiler, Bo, moved himself.  He finally jumped out of the puppy kennel and into the dog yard, which he is now sharing with Luke, Schatze, and Romeo.  He's a nice boy, just wanted some company and some more activity.  I moved Ryland and Jeremy into the puppy kennel vacated by Bo.  It has the best shade and a good fan, and this arrangement makes feeding time easier for me. 

Gypsy (shown here at left) is enjoying the privileges to which she is entitled by virtue of her age, position, and status as Most Senior Female Alpha Bitch.  When I go out to sit on the front porch she comes along and hangs out nearby.  She's not inclined to run off or even to go hassle the foster dogs anymore, as long as they stay where they belong. 

Both Teddy (now Trace), and Koa are doing well in their new homes. 

I'm taking 6 dogs to Gainesville on Sunday, really hope I can find a home for someone. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with your comments about the Casey Anthony trial. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Where did you buy the rubber mulch? I've only found wood and don't like all the insects that are attracted to it.

Brent said...

The rubber mulch came from Lowe's.