Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bio before blog


Odie
 I drove to Front Royal today with Odie, Jeremy, Schatze, and Tessa.  Cheyenne also came along so she could go home with her new foster.  It was a full load but 3 dogs shared the back end of the van so I had no one in the seat next to me. 

We had a good group of volunteers and plenty of people to hold my dogs, but not a big crowd of shoppers or potential adopters.  While we were sitting around talking I mentioned that I still didn't have Odie on the web and so he hadn't attracted any potential adopters.  I was told to do a "bio before blog" when I got home this evening and I actually did!  I already had some good pics of Odie, I just wrote up a little info and submitted it for posting on the VGSR website.  He's a great dog, and I think will be a pretty easy dog, which you can't say about a lot of shepherds. 

Schatze was good, as she always is.  She is just very attached to me.  She will be the same with anyone who adopts her too, and that's both good and bad.  She wants to be with me constantly and although she's fine outdoors, she shrieks when she sees me unless I'm with her.  She's like that at adoption events too, but it does seem to be an "out of sight, out of mind" thing.  When I'm out of her line of sight, she quiets down. 

Jeremy was along also, of course.  I think he's going to be with me always at this point, but you never know, there may be a home out there for him.  After all, even Teddy finally found a home. 

Tessa was a bit of a surprise today.  I handed her off to Helene, whom I would trust with any dog, and she was perfect for Tessa today.  I told her about my concerns about Tessa, how she was fear aggressive, didn't like men, and was scared of strangers.  Well, apparently Tessa wanted to make me look like a fool and she did. 


Steve gave Tessa a good opportunity to prove that she was male aggressive, stranger aggressive, or fear aggressive.
She just kissed him.
The man behind did the same, with the same result.

We had lots of volunteers there today so we tested her with everyone.  She just refused to bite, bark, lunge, or make any aggressive move.  She gave kisses instead.  I'm pleased, of course, but it makes her a bit of a mystery and I'm not sure what to tell people about her.  She needs a strong and confident leader, obviously, who isn't scared of her.  She needs someone that she will have confidence in. 

I think my criteria for her have to be: 1. previous shepherd experience; 2. no kids (because they and their friends have no previous experience); 3. a committment to doing something with the dog, running, agility, training, something to build the dog's confidence; and 4. common sense.

I'll probably have her forever too.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yay! Nice Bio for Oddie, and nice Blog too :-)