Thursday, July 28, 2011

My evening with Tessa (and theirs) [updated]

I will be so glad when my new computer arrives. My work computer has nothing on it that will allow me to crop a picture and I really hate posting pics with cut off body parts, too much grass, etc.  The new computer should be here tomorrow.
 
Anyway, Tessa and I left home about 5:00 p.m. this afternoon to make the drive up to Gainesville.  We had met a nice young couple at last Sunday's adoption event and they were interested in Tessa.  We went to meet them again this evening along with their current dog, also a German Shepherd. 

The dogs were fine together and Tessa was fine with both of them, right from the start, no fear, no shyness.  We did the adoption paperwork and she went home with them.  They have friends and relatives who live nearby who are also dog people and I encouraged them to make a point of getting her out and keeping her socialized with other people.

I was getting a LOT of inquiries about Tessa from interested people, but this one seemed like a good fit. 

It was 10:00 p.m. by the time I got back home.  We got the dogs settled for the night and I sat down to finish my work and unwind with a cocktail to counteract the iced coffee I was drinking all evening. 

Friday morning, I received this email and photo:
Things went VERY well last night. We kinda forgot there were dogs in the car, they were silent the entire ride home. We got home and even though it was very hot and humid we took them for a long walk together. They walk really well in their little pack. We thought that if she got ahead of him, Logan would cry and whimper but that did not seem to be the case, they stayed very close to each other in fact, kinda glued to one anothers side.

At home we kept her on the leash and walked her through each of the rooms and she did really well, took her off and the dogs immediately just began playing chase. She jumped on the couch and licked Tim's face to death, it was pretty cute if I do say so myself.

She scarfed some food, and drank a ton of water but was pretty riled up so we let them run for about 2 hours then put em to bed.

Tim trimmed out the mats from her fur and some of the dirt that was caked on her stomach, she is AMAZING with grooming, rolls right over and lays there, that giant fan of a tail does not stop wagging it was funny b/c tim had to try and make it stop b/c it made her butt move which made trimming her stomach hilarious.

The only hiccup we have had was she seems to be a bit more rough with toys. Logan is a huge baby with them and is ultra gentle and you can tell Tessa is more of a rough houser. Nothing that cant be handled we just got to teach her the "drop it" command when she gets too rough.  They got into a bit of a neck biting fight but we were able to break it up and 5 seconds later they were back to playing.  I really think this is going to work out beautifully, we could not be happier.

Thank you so much for choosing us to adopt her! We could not be more in love!


I'm happy that they are happy and that she's happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear everything is going well! Tessa is a beautiful dog, lucky adopters!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all the recent adopters/adoptees. Odie especially touches my heart. He look so much like Ansel, our first shepherd.