Sunday, July 3, 2011

Birthday float

I woke up this morning to discover we were in the very tail end of a rain storm that passed through very early this morning.  I checked the weather to confirm that it was over and headed out undeterred for my birthday float trip.  This was the first chance I've had all year to get the canoe in the water.  I didn't get started as early as I had hoped, but still was on the river before 8:00 a.m.

Last year on the July 4th weekend I had encountered a veritable flotilla of canoes, kayaks, and fishing boats.  I don't know if the morning storm kept them away or if they were all in church, but I encountered only one party of two boats and three guys who were probably out there more for the beer than the fish anyway.  I did pass 4 kids with tubes just having a good time, but otherwise no people until I neared the bridge where I pull out. 

I was too late for very early morning wildlife, but since there weren't a lot of people I still managed to see some.  I raced a swimming turtle for a short distance.  I spotted two deer, a bald eagle, several green herons, and this mother duck and ducklings.

My most surprising encounter, however, was with a very brave or foolish Great Blue Heron.  I usually see Great Blues when they take flight as I approach.  They pull up out of the water and generally fly around the next bend and we repeat that pattern a few times until they decide they've had enough of me and double back behind as I go by.  This guy, however, I spotted in the water just ahead of the ducklings shown above.  I stopped paddling and just floated for a bit, taking a couple distance pictures, figuring that's probably all I'd get before he flew off.  But this guy didn't leave.  It was at a place in the river where rocks and sand make some shallow rapids, which is always good fishing for these guys.  He was very intent on his fishing and didn't fly off.  I even ran aground, had to get out and pull the canoe to deeper water, and this bird didn't fly off.  I went completely past him and he was still back there, intently watching for tasty treats to come his way. 

It was a good trip and I hope and plan to do it again tomorrow morning.  I drove up to Culpeper to meet the person returning Jeremy this afternoon.  More on that another time.   I put Jeremy into the dog yard and moved the two labs into the new kennel.  It contains the dog house and platform from their former home so it should seem familiar to them.  I just hope they don't spread the kennel cough to the other dogs over there. This evening Clay and I are going into town for dinner and drinks, maybe a movie if there's anything playing. Trace (Teddy) apparently had a good first night in his new home.  Hopefully they will get him tired out again today so that will continue.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! Have fun. :))
Any snakes in the river? I never floated down the river because I am sooo...worried about them.