Sunday, July 24, 2011

Downs and ups

Saturday sucked.  I suffered the ultimate computer tragedy, a crashed hard drive.  The computer was 3-4 years old so I certainly didn't mind replacing it, but I hate like hell losing all the dog pictures that resided on that hard drive. 

I'm using my work computer, approximately 5 feet away from my personal computer, but still, it's not the same.  A new one was ordered from Dell and is due to arrive on the 28th.  I salvaged the hard drive from the old machine and am taking it to someone tomorrow in the hope that they will be able to read it and recover my files.  The day was hot, humid, and pretty much miserable, but after a late day thunderstorm it was enough better that I was able to sit outside in the evening and enjoy the hummingbirds.
On Sunday I loaded up Schatze, Odie, Jeremy, Star, and Tessa and we headed up to Gainesville.  I didn't have great expectations for the day.  The forecast was for another hot and humid day, but mostly I didn't have much hope in finding suitable adopters.  I'm getting rather jaded, I'm afraid, but it seems that so many people are only willing to adopt a dog if it won't be any trouble, if it will magically and instantly conform to their lifestyle without requiring any effort or accomodation on their part.  That sounds more than a little cynical, I know, but with three returns lately, that's the way I've been feeling.  Self-pity isn't attractive, nor is it conducive to adoptions, so I was trying to keep it in check. 

With an attitude so bad and expectations so low, things could only get better, and they did.  The sun stayed behind clouds and there was a decent breeze such that the weather was tolerable.  Tessa was well behaved, good with people, no problems.  Better still, both Odie and Star went to new homes, both of which seem to be very good ones.  On top of that, I now have a prospective adopter for Tessa.  We plan to meet again next weekend so she can meet their current dog.

All things considered, not a bad weekend, except for the Tragedy of the Great Crash.  I'm going to get an external hard drive to use as a back up for my next computer. 

Monday is Bo's first heartworm treatment.  He had a bath this afternoon so he will be nice and clean for his day at the hospital.  He will become my officemate after the treatment, freeing up some kennel space outside. It's time to start working on a placement for those labs. 

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Damn, if it's not one thing it's another. I hope the Great Heavenly Rottweiler sees fit to restore your photo files! Glad two dogs went to new homes.