Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Good dog, good people, bad match


Last Sunday was a long drive to Front Royal and back, and when I got home I had a message about another dog being returned.  That never makes me happy.  The dog is another young female, named Star.  Very pretty girl, very nice girl, and she was adopted to some very nice people.  The problem?  Too much of a good thing.  The two humans in the home both work, but different shifts.  We tend to think of that as a good thing, very little alone time for the dog, right?  But if the dog won't let one of the humans sleep after the other one leaves for work, that's not so good for anyone.
 
I dread putting Star back on the web.  She will generate plenty of interest, but we have so many applicants who are attracted to shepherds by their look and their reputation but they have no idea what actually owning one requires.  They think it would be nice to have one around.  The problem is, German Shepherds are not just "around."  They are in your face and up your butt, constantly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They are that kid who whines about being bored and needing something to do.  That "something" is their human.  They can't entertain themselves very well, and when they do, it's generally bad news. 

They are high maintenance.  I'd be willing to bet that the average shepherd requires more time and attention than the average dog, even aside from the grooming, although I'm sure there are breeds out there that are even worse. 

Star is not a particularly problematic dog.  She's good with people and good with dogs and good indoors.  She just needs a safe and secure place to be when her owner leaves where she won't disturb others until she settles down. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking Star should find a different owner quickly. She is a very attractive dog. If she gets along with people and dogs, she has won half the battle.

Tammy said...

I really want to copy and paste this to everything I come in contact with! You are so right, I've always heard that if you don't want to be married, don't get a shepherd! Nice post and I'm sure Star will find a home soon, she has that "classic" look!