Friday, July 15, 2011

Kate, the last shepherd

 
The whorder saga isn't over quite yet.  (Go back to March 2, 2011, "Rescue at its smelliest" if you want to review this story.)  The judicial system proceeds at glacial pace and a hearing that was scheduled for this past week got continued.  I don't know what will happen with the whore, Jennifer Brooks, but the last of her dogs are finally free of her for good.  They must have been surrendered (perhaps as part of an agreement to continue the criminal matter pending against her?), I don't know how it happened but the three oldest of the dogs, the ones who had been returned to her and were seized again a few weeks later, are finally free of the fat fuck bitch, Jennifer Brooks.  The 15 year old went to a hospice care rescue group that will keep him to the end.  The old male was adopted out.  I'd like to meet that person and thank them.  That leaves just Kate.  I stopped by the Fluvanna SPCA today to meet Kate and take these pictures. 

Kate is probably 10+ years old.  She's overweight and her rear end is a little weak.  Her eyes betray her too.  They show some age, beginning to cloud up a bit, but mostly they show her mistrust and fear of people.  And who can blame her?  She's spent her whole life with the whorder bitch and what is probably a long line of low life boy friends in between their prison stays.  Much like my own Gypsy, she still has a big bark, but she seems to lack the inclination to back it up.  She retreated to the back of her run when I approached, but I was able to walk back to her in the corner, drop a slip leash over her head, and lead her out without difficulty.  Outdoors she did her business and then walked nicely with me and posed for a few pictures. 

I don't really know what I can do for this dog.  I don't have space for her and I don't know if I could get her adopted.  Her mistrust of people is real and will take some time to overcome, but I saw her look at the shelter director with complete love and absolute trust, so I know this old girl has it in her. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sad, sad story. I am glad that all the dogs are out of this situation. Kate looks like she is our Hopes Mama, same strange breast bone. Hopefully, somebody with a big heart will take this dog in. The fear factor is huge for these dogs. Hope has improved but she is constantly on guard and on the run. What can you expect when they were kept in these conditions at the hoarder's house. All I can say, our dog wants to be loved and she tries hard.