Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cabell, Roscoe, et al.

This is Roscoe meeting a cat in the lobby of the SPCA prior to his neuter surgery on Friday.

Cabell had refused to give up a urine sample when he was at the vet last week, but we needed one to determine if his kidneys were malfunctioning.  On Friday morning I walked him outside on a leash to one of the favorite places to pee.  It was morning so he needed to go and didn't object too much when I slipped a stainless steel food dish under him.  I poured it into a ziplock and took it to the vet.  I was back at the vet later that day and picked up a prescription diet for him.  It seems that he does have a kidney problem.  I think he's feeling and acting a bit more normal today, though and I'm glad to see it.  

This happened several weeks ago and I can't remember this dog's name right now.  He's a big mastiff who wasn't happy at the shelter.  Fortunately, once he got out and into a home he settled down and seems to be doing well.  I facilitated his transfer from the shelter to Animal Connections and his subsequent adoption but he never had to come here as a foster.  I like it when it works that way.



The shar pei at the back is Tofu, one of my former fosters.  The other two dogs are foster dogs now living in his new home.  They are with another rescue in another state, but they are saving their own local dogs and I couldn't be happier.  I love it when adopters become rescuers themselves.  It's not for everyone, but for some people, adopting a dog is just the first step towards saving many others.

     
When I went back to pick up Roscoe at the end of the day, we went upstairs to meet another cat.  We ran into this guy, spending the day in his mom's office.  Jackson Browne was not one of my former fosters, but his litter mate was my boy Rowdy, who is now Bernie.  The two brothers share a shyness and distrust of strangers. 







This is Roscoe after his surgery on Friday.  He seems to be doing fine.  There's a couple people interested in him who are coming to meet him in Gainesville on Sunday. 









Nero tethered to a sign post on the Heritiage Trail.  We did almost two hours hiking out there today.  It was cold but good for both of us.  He has about outgrown the black leather harness I had been using on him.  I walked him with an "Easy Walk Harness" today.  They are great for dogs that pull on a leash, but not so great for our style of trail walking.  I don't mind the pulling, it's more exercise for him to drag me along and I don't mind the assist going up hills.   

2 comments:

Ann said...

"It's not for everyone, but for some people, adopting a dog is just the first step towards saving many others." That was so true for us. After adopting Miss Loba, we started to foster, eventually for 2 different breed rescues, and are counted in the 20% of fosters that take in more than 3 dogs in a year. While we don't have the set-up to do your volume (no fence, means every foster is on a leash), I think we're up to our 20th foster now! What was the phrase you used...canine-addiction? Thanks for setting a wonderful example for the rest of us to follow!

Lindsay said...

Nero's expression and stance is awesome. I can only imagine what he is thinking right then.