Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Meet Max

His name is Max.  VGSR gives each dog a numbered tag so he will be Max 1369, which is probably about the number of dogs named Max that we've had.  I'm not sure where the dog was born or initially acquired, but he has lived in England and moved here with his military family, but he eventually got dumped after they had two kids.  This is why I'm always very reluctant to adopt to young straight people.  Contrary to Republican beliefs, the world needs more gays and lesbians.  At least the dog world does. 

Max is about 3.5 years old, already neutered, and he came along with records showing that he's current on vaccines.  I can count on one hand the number of dogs I've taken in that came along with that kind of a vet records, so he was obviously well cared for. 

Max is a mountain.  He is probably 15 pounds overweight, but he will still be a big dog.  They obviously haven't had time to exercise them and that made him more difficult to live with around two babies, I'm sure.  Fortunately, Max is young enough that he's got a good shot at a second life. 

He's a good looking dog and seems very nice.  He's housetrained and he hopped right into the crate in my van and rode home quietly.  I moved him right in with Dixie who should run some weight off him.  We didn't get home until after dark, which is never ideal, but he's with another dog and I can put them inside the shed tonight if necessary. 

He will need to learn some leash manners, or maybe he has them when he's less excited.  I picked up some food and a prong collar donated by a woman today and I'll be using that collar on this dog.  That usually sorts out the leash manners pretty quickly. 

From what I've seen, Max is a nice dog.  He just needs more exercise.  It will help him shed the weight and calm him down so he's easier to live with.  He may still be too much dog in a household with small children, but I'm sure there's a home for him out there.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

I'm sure someone will fall for this Mountain of Max with that comical floppy ear!