Saturday, February 4, 2012

I ride inside


No one who knows me very well at all could think that I wouldn't have something to say about this.  Everyone who knows me also knows that there is not even a snow ball's chance in hell that I'd ever vote for Romney, or any of his ilk in a general election.  The current ongoing internecine warfare amongst the right wing crazies is scary and amusing, but nothing that comes from it will matter to me in deciding how to vote in November.

I guess I should back up as it's barely possible that someone may not know this story.  Twenty-odd years ago, Mitt Romeny loaded his brood into the family wagon for a trip to Canada to visit relatives. 

Making the trip with them was the family dog, an Irish Setter named Seamus.  The dog, however, wasn't in the car, he was in a crate strapped to the roof of the car.  Unsurprisingly, the dog was terrified and when that happens, their guts turn to liquid.  Poor Seamus had an uncontrollable bout of diarrhea in the crate on top of the car. 

At some point they stopped and hosed off dog and crate and returned both to the top of the car to continue the trip to Canada.  Mind you, Romney does not deny this story.  He simply believed it was an appropriate thing to do. 

There is some question about what finally happened to the dog.  The family story is that he went to live on a relative's farm.  However, there are reports that the dog ran away once they arrived in Canada, and who could blame him if he did?

Mitt's apologists point out that this event occurred 20 or more years ago.  But was this something that a reasonably intelligent human being would have done 20 years ago?  I was 33 years old 20 years ago, and I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I have enough sense to know that it was inappropriate, and in fact cruel and abusive, to tie a dog's crate to the roof of a car. 

So the man is scum, for this and a multitude of other reasons. 

DogsAgainstRomney.com is a website I ran across on Facebook when the picture above started showing up repeatedly among my Facebook friends.  The dog in the sweater is adorable, the facial expression is perfect, and the simple tag line "I ride inside" says it all.  The website is selling t-shirts and other products, including the bumpersticker that is now displayed on the back window of my van. I don't know where the money is going, and I don't care.  I'm sure it's not going to Romney and that's good enough for me.

p.s.  Much like "santorum," the word "romney" has taken on new meaning. 

3 comments:

Risa said...

LOVE IT!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to order my sticker right away.

Living the life in The Little City said...

I'm pretty sure that I need that bumper sticker! And, maybe some extras for friends. Thanks for mentioning it.

Tiffany said...

Where does the money go? Perhaps the dogs created a superpac and will be airing ads in the general election?