Thursday, February 16, 2012

Quick updates

I had an email the other day from Hannah's adopter.  He said:  "Wanted to let you know Hanah and I are doing good.  I think things will work out for us.  She is more at ease than her first two days, she is wagging her tail, comes up to me and licks my hand, and last night when I came home she wanted to play with her tennis ball. She is so fast, quick, agile and strong! But, then she is a German Shepherd!"

Obviously I was thrilled to hear this.   Hannah is a sweet girl who didn't understand being shuffled around and had some trust issues with people.  I knew she would bond with the guy and I knew he would give her some time to do so.  Some people expect it to happen immediately, or overnight at least.  Not all dogs are like that, particularly shepherds.  A little time and effort earning their trust is required, but it's not half of what they should require from us.


Ollie went to the vet today for shots and such.  He had hookworms, which are not a big deal, tested negative for everything else.  We finally got a look at his teeth and was surprised to find out that he does not appear to be a 6-9 month old puppy.  He actually looks more like a two year old dog, unless he's just been eating bad food and drinking coffee all his life.  Still, he acts like a puppy.  I suspect his development, and probably his growth, had been stunted by neglect. 

He's sweet, curious, friendly.  He and Dixie are getting along great and he met Cabell today too and had no problems with him at all.  Great little dog, perfect for a townhouse or apartment.  I need to get him on the web.

I was planning to take Ollie to the vet today, but it was actually Cabell that prompted the trip to town.  Clay was working from home today and he got the dogs out to the dog yard before I was even out of bed.  I went out later and fed everyone, Cabell included, and then proceeded to scoop poop in the dog yard.  I found what was apparently vomit and immediately suspected Cabell.  I brought him inside and he proceeded to barf up the breakfast he had eaten so eagerly just 30 minutes before.  I don't run the vet the first time a dog throws up, but Cabell has been sick lately, and when he was laying on his bed, he was shivering or shaking as if he was cold. 



He spent the day at the vet, got some abdominal xrays, and an ultrasound, which were largely unremarkable.  He got an injection to stop vomiting and later some food and water, which he ate with gusto and kept down.   The xrays did reveal more arthritis on his spine, which isn't surprising, so we will be using the pain meds, but still don't have much of a clue about the vomiting, except they saw what appeared to be some small bones still in his stomach.  He hasn't been out to the pasture, but he may have found and ate a bird or something on his romps around the yard. 

He's back home and seems to be feeling ok, but we'll be watching him closely.

This is a new rottie who may be arriving Saturday.

No comments: