Thursday, February 9, 2012

Long shadows

Nero, ball in mouth
Yesterday was cold, damp, and dreary, but today was warm and sunny, the kind of day I love. Sunny days this time of year are great but it seems the sun is always in your eyes because it never rises very high in the sky. These are the days of long shadows.

I'm happy the grass is still brown for now.
If it was green, I'd be needing to mow.
I didn't have time for a hike today.  I had to get my work done during the day because we went to see an NT Live production of "Traveling Light" at the Paramount in Charlottesville this evening.  I finished my work early and took Nero out to the pasture with my tennis ball thrower.   He's a nut for tennis balls but doesn't care much for any other toy or type of ball.  He's not the greatest ball player I've ever had.  He doesn't bring it back and he's not great at finding a ball in tall grass, but he enjoys it.

Nero, left, and Dixie, right
Hannah, Spartan, Dixie, and Radley were in the dog yard and Dixie soon jumped the fence to join us in the pasture.  She wasn't particularly interested in the ball, which was good because Nero growled at her when she came too close to it.  She just wanted to run, and they did. 

Nero and Dixie got a good run and I moved around a little bit anyway.  Tomorrow I take Roscoe in for his neuter surgery, but I hope to get out for a long hike sometime in the middle of the day.  Nero is looking better day by day it seems.  His hair is beginning to grow in over the bald spots on his face, his weight is good, and I think that one day he will be a stunning dog.

Dixie is cute and sweet.  If she wasn't in heat I'd have her at the next adoption event.  As it is, I'll have to wait a couple weeks before getting her spayed so she will be ready to go. 
Dixie, front, and Nero, rear, with the ball


No comments: