Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ollie's menagerie


I was half expecting a rottie to arrive on Saturday but he didn't materialize.  That's ok because it sounds like he's safe and will be going to a responsible home.  And of course there's another one that I may take in his place. 

What did materialize on Saturday afternoon was a young couple from Virginia Beach who adopted Ollie!  I liked them, partly because they took the incentive to actually come here to meet the dog.  They have no other dogs, but they are definitely animal people.  They have cats, ferrets, a snake and lizard, birds, gerbils, and I'm not sure what else.  Ollie's youth and inexperience may work to their advantage because he won't know any of those things and hopefully won't have any pre-formed predatory urges.  We will see. 

I was pretty certain that anyone who met Ollie would fall for him.  He's cute, sweet, and charming.  I was working outside much of Saturday because it was a beautiful day and they were predicting a snow storm for Sunday.  I brought Ollie over to the dog yard to be with Trooper while I was puttering around.  Again, no introduction, I just walked him in and he was fine with Trooper, although he was mostly interested in checking out the yard. 

I pretty much settled on hound/shepherd as Ollie's genetic mix.  That long, lanky frame is very hound-like, and that white tipped tail is the clencher.  I guess I'll never be a dog breed purist.  I can appreciate the look of a classic shepherd or rottie, but mixes are just more interesting and beautiful in their own unique way.  It's what we always tell Cabell, there is only one Cabell dog. 

Nero and I had a pretty active week on the trails.  I got out several times during the week, including a good long hike on Friday, and a shorter but faster one on Saturday, when we actually moved up to trail running. 

I had hoped to do a canoe trip today, in the snow, but it now sounds like the snow, if we get any, won't come until tonight, and this morning is just cloudy, damp, and chilly.  I think I'll make a big breakfast and a Bloody Mary instead, maybe go back to bed and catch up on Downton Abbey.  But first I need to get everyone fed, medicated, and settled for the day.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

I've been reading and enjoying all your posts, just haven't been moved to comment much lately. I'm happy for Hannah and Ollie and the rottie, hope Cabell will feel better soon. It's hard when the oldsters get these non-descript symptoms that could mean almost anything ... or nothing. Enjoy the long weekend!

Cathy L in Batesville said...

I'm not a regular on FB but catching up on your posts is always something I enjoy. It's refreshing to find folks doing rescue the "right" way. I like your politics as well. Congrats on your recent success stories. Sounds like you've had some fast turn-a-rounds. Hopefully Radley's day will come soon. Good to see Nero looking better. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Cabell. My old girl is hanging in there. You and Clay are amazing in all that you accomplish.