Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rex moves out

You can see how thin Rex's tail is here.  He doesn't chew it,
but he grabs it with his mouth and spins when he's excited.
I drove Rex to his new foster home in Front Royal yesterday.  I am very hopeful that it will work out well for him. 

Our place isn't right for every dog.  For many dogs that I take in, this place is a little slice of doggie heaven compared to their former homes or homelessness, even though they are mostly living outdoors in kennels.  But it's not right for all dogs and I think Rex is one of those.  He needs more time and attention than I can provide and this place was over stimulating for him.  And frankly, I'm not good with dogs with behaviors that drive me crazy, like shyness, barking, tail chasing, or any other obsession.

Rex with Naiah.  If he knows what's good for him he will continue
to suck up to her.  She's quite capable of kicking his butt.
I am very reluctant to dump problem dogs onto other fosters, but this one knows the problem and is well equipped to handle it.  We both think it stands a good chance of working out.  Once Rex is something close to a normal shepherd (notice I didn't say "normal dog"), he will have a lot of adoption prospects as he is a very good looking young male.  Most of the people who want him won't be right for him, but his new foster can sort that out.

Naiah and this new foster home will be the best things
to ever happen to this dog.
These are pics I took yesterday.  The other dog is Naiah, a former VGSR foster dog, although she wasn't one of mine.  Rex tried his inappropriate new dog greeting, but Naiah read him well and could tell he is just a stupid young boy dog. The two of them were playing together before I left.  The new foster does a lot of training and Rex will benefit from that as well.  He just needs a directed outlet for his energy, both mental and physical. 

Initial reports, and photos, from the new foster home all sound good. 

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I hope great things for Rex! Sounds like he might really benefit from from training because of the mental energy it requires. Hopefully it will redirect his energy and wear him out a bit! :) Glad you found a good place for him.