Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Building trust

I went to town late this afternoon to re-stock my supply of fruits and vegetables.  Maya came along and waited in the van while I shopped and then we went for a walk on the Rivanna trail from Free Bridge to Riverview Park and back.  It's a good walk, but an easy one, on a smooth paved trail right along the Rivanna River.  It was exercise for both of us, for me because I'm fat and for her because she's confined indoors.  The other benefit from leash walking, of course, is to build the dog's confidence and trust in me.

 

That's not a trusting look, but
at least she looked at me.
All that snow has melted and the
river is running high and fast.
I used a rope choke collar that could not come loose, break, or slip over her head, and I held my end in a death grip the entire time.  She was a little wary of other dogs and people that we encountered but her reaction was to fall back close to me, which was good. 


We stopped occasionally and worked on "touch" command, where I extend my hand towards her and encourage her to make contact with her nose.  We got to the point that she no longer shies away from my hand, but still I have to be the one to make contact with her nose.  We will next work on "look" to encourage her to make eye contact with me, which she only does for a fleeting moment.
 

At home, she is content to lie in the office while I work, either on the big dog bed, the floor near my chair, or in her crate.  She's more confident with other dogs than she is with people, by far.  Oh, and I think she's in heat. 






No comments: