Sunday, March 24, 2013

Stupid Snowy Spring Sunday

Maya and Trooper, before we left this morning.
They are so damn cute together I can't stand it.
I loaded up Maya, Rocky, and Hercules and we headed up to Gainesville.  The weather forecast wasn't great, calling for rain and/or snow starting later in the day.  The crowd reflected the forecast.  We'd have done better being out front of a grocery store where people stock up on bread, milk, and toilet paper, but the Petsmart in Gainesville was fairly quiet.
Booty looked great.  He's due to be
neutered tomorrow and will probably
be adopted before the end of the week.
That didn't matter that much for my purposes, anyway.  I was going to deliver some meds to Booty's foster and to see how Maya did out in public. 


Former foster Rocky
I don't usually post pics of
people without their permission,
but this one of Bob and Rocky
was too good to resist.
Booty was there and looked great, and he at least pretended to be happy to see me.  Rocky was good with everyone other than Booty (Rocky was just recently neutered and Booty is just being neutered tomorrow).  Hercules was good and impressed the volunteers with how trainable he was, or perhaps how well trained he already was.  I was pleasantly surprised, and impressed, with Miss Maya.  When we first arrived she had her tail tucked tightly under her belly, but before we went inside she had relaxed a bit and it has just hanging straight down.  Later in the day I saw her carrying it high and curved over her back like the owned the place.  She would let people approach her, pet her, and she even approached people herself.  No fear.

Maya, double leashed for my peace of mind.

Maya, look at that tail position.
I held her myself at first, on two leashes (attached to collar and harness), but later passed her off to other volunteers who walked her around the store.  She is not the shy, scared little girl that she was two weeks ago, much less the terrified little thing she was a month ago.  If anything, she's probably a little too confident, given her age and limited experience--that's the female shepherd in her coming through. 

My friend Susanne came along with her CASPCA foster, Darcy, and she got adopted to a couple who have a senior female shepherd adopted from VGSR about 10 years ago. 

Rottie Rocky (front)
Herc and shepherd Rocky (rear)
It was a good day and the snow held off on the drive home until I got to Orange.  It's snowing like crazy here now, already a couple inches or more with no sign of stopping.  It will probably be our prettiest snow of the year and I sure hope it's the last. 




Darcy looks like a young shepherd pup,
but she's actually about a year old, a small
(30 pound) mixed breed, very cute.


Darcy





This is Santana.  She's about 10 years
old and was adopted from VGSR at six
months of age.  She is Darcy's new sibling.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

I think I hear a new female shepherd worming her way into your heart ...