Friday, March 29, 2013

Greater Friday

It's the end of the work week, that's always good, even though I'll still be working at least a half day tomorrow.  But today had a couple things that upgraded it from good to great and on to greater. 

Sparky and I got out for a hike.  We did about a hour and a quarter out on the Heritage Trail, starting behind the the library (yes, Fluvanna has one, don't ask me why), up to the open fields at Pleasant Grove, over to the ball fields, and then back into the horse trails in the woods that eventually brought us back.  It's the first time in ages that Sparky and I have been out and we were able to do so because Gypsy Jr. went elsewhere today.  I couldn't walk them both and I was afraid to take him without her for fear of what she'd do while we were gone. 

I'd better back up.  I took in Gypsy over a year ago, actually it may be more like two years ago.  She was aggressive with other dogs and put some pretty bad puncture wounds in everyone I tried to keep with her.  I finally moved her in with Sparky who could handle her, and more importantly he could handle himself in a fight.  They worked out arrangements between them without anyone getting hurt.  She has been languishing without any prospects for a very long time and going stir crazy in the kennel.  She became extremely destructive as a form of entertainment, destroying two canopies, boardwalks, cabinetry, and tools.  I came to hate her because of it, and to hate myself for feeling that way towards her.  After all, it wasn't her fault, she's just bored out of her mind.  The obsession with which she pursues her destruction actually makes me wonder if she has literally gone out of her right mind.

We were stuck.  I couldn't put her up for adoption and it was really coming to the point that I could no longer keep her.  Still, I hated to euthanize her without giving her a decent chance, but my own feelings were such that I couldn't do anything with her.  I found a great place that was willing to take her in and evaluate her with a fresh, unbiased, set of eyes.  She's still my responsibility and I'll take her back if they don't think she's adoptable, but I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me.  If she comes back because she's still too aggressive, I will euthanize her, not without regret but at least without guilt.
 

And in the meantime, Sparky and I got back to hiking, making it a great day.

The day got a further upgrade in the form a phone call that I missed.  Clay got home from work before Sparky and I returned from the trails and took a call from the vet.  The biopsy they did on Cabell's mouth was negative, no cancer, just inflammation.  To top it all off, a golden retriever that I had committed to taking in got otherwise adopted today.  That's a greater day.








2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Happy to hear good news for Sparky and Cabell. I hope Gypsy Jr's prospects improve with the new fosters.

Anonymous said...

That is such great news about Cabell! I'm so happy!