Monday, February 2, 2015

Wind

We used to have horses, and they always acted stupid on windy days. I'm convinced that the reason is all the scents that are whirling about in the air, probably in random, unpredictable patterns. Dogs also have much better olfactory senses than our own and consequently they react to wind in much the same way as horses. They are simply overstimulated. Knowing this, and knowing Max's tenuous grasp on sanity on his best days, you have to wonder what possessed me to take him out on the trails on this windy day. 
 

Maya and Diesel and I had done an easy three mile walk in the early afternoon. It was enough to satisfy Diesel but not Maya and it really wasn't enough exercise for me either if I want to eat today. I decided to take Max and Maya, but I knew I couldn't handle a third dog with Max along. Max doesn't handle stimulation very well, but when he's on the leash at least his energy is directed in a forward manner. On his own in the dog yard on a windy day he would probably spin himself into a hole in the ground. I had kept him indoors today because of that; I would not have been able to work with him screaming as he chased his tail in response to the overload of stimuli in the air. 
Maya's long shadow late in the afternoon.

Look at the hair on Max's back end, and
on the back of his head. That's how hard
the wind was blowing this afternoon.
Maya had no problem keeping up with him, of course. I acted as Max's anchor, which he proceeded to drag along for about five miles. There was one time that he was convinced he had seen a deer and then he really took off. I shut that down immediately by going around a tree with the leashes, thereby bringing all three of us to a complete halt. We waited until the "deer ahead" thought had passed from his mind before going on. 


He's tired this evening, as he should be after dragging me through the woods. Maya is tired as well and so am I since the two of us covered nearly eight miles today. If someone could do that with Max every day, and continue his medication, he might be a pretty decent dog, but a 20 minute stroll through a neighborhood on the occasional really nice day is never going to cut it for this guy.  
Shallow roots, mostly dead tree, and wet soil
brought this one down today, just missing the
kennel that holds Barkley and Groot.








No comments: