Thursday, February 5, 2015

Facebook friends and rescue family

I have a lot of friends that I've never met in person. In fact, I probably have more "virtual" friends than actual real life friends that I could call up to go out for a beer or to hide a body.

Occasionally when I'm out with the dogs I run into someone who knows my dogs by name, knows their stories, and by extension, mine, via this blog. This story is about one such person I've never met, who is actually a relative -- one of Clay's cousins who lives in New Mexico.

I was in bed last night when I got a text message with the picture on the left. My response was to ask: "What is it?", although I was pretty sure of the answer.

Small dogs with long coats who are severely neglected end up being nothing but a matted clump of hair with no distinguishing features.

Someone who was unwilling to face up to their responsibility had likely abandoned the poor creature in a rural area telling themselves it would have a chance, or perhaps more maddeningly, "its in god's hands." What would have happened, of course, is that the dog would have been hit by a car, killed by wildlife, or continued on the path to death by starvation.

This little dog (and that was just a guess), ended up with my friend who gave it food and water and began cutting away the matted fur.

Even when it became apparent which end was the head, there was still no sign of eyes and no indication that the dog could see.

Meeting one of the resident dogs in her rescuer's home.


I suggested letting a vet do the rest and today that is what happened. It turns out the dog is fairly young, maybe two years old, female, and sighted, all of which came as a surprise. The little girl dog still needs a lot of help, a lot of medication and treatment, but she will survive. I'd be inclined to name her Gloria, although this little dog doesn't really look like a 70s gay disco diva.






















Look at the rich, soft, shiny coats on
the two resident dogs. That's the
difference that care makes. 


Just imagine how miserable that dog must have been, yet she had a sweet and friendly disposition throughout, probably incredible grateful for the care. I am told that her tail does not stop wagging, now that it's possible for her to move it. Is there a happier dog anywhere tonight? Is there a better feeling for a human than having made this happen?






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just cried reading this story. Thank God for your friend and for you. If your friend needs any support monetarily to help, please let me know. My heart aches knowing that so many dogs are treated like this. Thank God your friend found her.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your offer of help. I think my friend and I would be pleased if you made a donation to Brent's choice of a rescue group in Va.
Brent's Friend in New Mexico

Anonymous said...

It seems that in rescue the best sort of people are always cleaning up after the worst sort of people. Dog bless you and our little dog too.