Saturday, January 6, 2018

Thank You

One of my goals for the weekend is to contact everyone who donated towards Jackie's care to say "thank you." I want to start by thanking everyone for their support and concern for Jackie and to share some good news. Although we will have some further expenses, I'm confident that we raised enough money for her surgery.

Although Jackie feels much better, she was still nervous
at the vet's office and tried to hide under my chair.
Fortunately, removing her stitches was quick and simple
so we were not there very long.
We went to the vet on Friday so her stitches could be removed. I also took in a new urine sample because she still seems to have a problem with frequent urination although it's 95% better than it was. The urinalysis still showed bacteria so we are continuing on antibiotics for at least another week. It's not a surprise that her infection will take a while to clear up given how severe it was so I remain confident that she can beat this.

I also had the chance to speak to the vet about the results of the lab work. The growth on the spleen was entirely benign, the best possible result. I can't say that I entirely understood the news about the bladder stones, but the bottom line is that it too was good news, something that the special diet should prevent from recurring.

The bottom line for Jackie is that she feels good again. She's still shy with people, but she enjoys all the dogs around here and is learning to trust me. She has a good quality of life again and for that I am thankful. I'm also grateful to Karin Straley of Animal Connections for trusting me enough to take in Jackie.


This picture was taken fairly early after we first got Gigi.
Her silver highlights are just beginning.
I'm also thankful for all the expressions of love and support shared by so many people upon Gigi's death. Between Jackie, Griffin, and Sparky, December was a tough month medically and emotionally. Losing Gigi so suddenly was a real kick in the gut.

Gigi in repose, in her daytime position, resting on pillows
at the top of the bed.
She was almost 10 years old, which for a Great Dane is pretty good. Although losing her suddenly was a real blow, I am thankful that she didn't suffer a long decline in her quality of life towards the end.



These last two pictures were taken sometime over New Year's weekend.




No comments: