Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Jackie update

Jackie continues to do well around here. She is definitely becoming more and more integrated with the pack. She pops up and follows Vince outdoors most every time he goes, which is often. Vince knows the ropes around here and he's about her age and speed so she's picked a good one to emulate.
Here she is on one of the beds in my office.

When I last wrote about Jackie she had moved into the Cabell Cave, the small space under the stairs. That didn't last long, however. Once she realized that she could go upstairs, that's where she wants to be. It's warmer up there, but mostly I think it's because that's where all the other dogs hang out during the day. The stairs aren't easy for her. She goes up one foot at a time and coming down she sometimes slides, but she insists upon doing it. She even follows me downstairs on unnecessary trips when I'm just going down to refill my coffee or something like that, but then she comes back up again to be where we all are.

I put a big round bed on the landing at the top of the stairs. It's sort of in the middle of the hallway, but it's a central location that's still somewhat out of the way and that seems to suit her. I'm leaving her there at night as well, with access to go down to the kitchen to pee if she needs to, but actually we've had dry floors for at least most of the past week. I think, I hope, we've finally got the UTI under control. She's getting a little more exercise now, just walking around the yard, and that may help her develop some muscle tone as well. When the current round of antibiotics are finished I'd like to start her on some sort of NSAID to help with mobility.

She's usually got her tail up and wagging now and that's very good to see. She will approach me for some petting even, particularly if I'm sitting down. I can't yell at anyone now because I don't want to scare her, so everyone is benefitting from that.

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to see Jackie making progress.