Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Beautiful Day, Beautiful Dogs

The day broke with a clear blue sky. No one has said that around here in recent memory. I fed the dogs as usual, but then, instead of getting to work right away I loaded up Maya and Mercedes and we went for a walk up at Pleasant Grove. Mercedes was very happy to go. She still has that new dog enthusiasm for the hikes. For everything really. Being dumped by her former owners may have been the best thing for her. She didn't mope around and pine about her losses; she's got a new lease on life and she's making the most of it. Mercedes has become my tail, which is nice in a way since I've always wanted one. She follows me so close that I've taken to calling her Shadow. Whoever adopts this dog will swear she's the best dog ever.

We just did the two mile up and back on the road at Pleasant Grove. Maya and I both needed more so we came home and swapped out Mercedes for Trooper and went again. I don't think I've had Trooper out in quite a while and he was very happy to be going along. It was the nicest day we've had in a long time, but it's still August and the heat was wearing on Trooper towards the end. He slowed down and Maya did too, although I think she was just matching his pace. I'm still waiting on Husky weather to take TJ and he doesn't seem to mind staying at home.

The other one who doesn't mind being left behind these days is Sparky. That dog only leaves his bed for meals, and even then I have to call him and insist that he come down. But when we got home from the second walk I got Sparky to join Theo, Max, Rugger, and Mercedes for a romp in the pasture while I did some mowing.

Since I wasn't playing ball, Theo mostly sat in the shade and watched me mow, keeping a tennis ball in his mouth at all times in case I came to my senses and wanted to play. Rugger found a big green ball and carried it around most of the time. Mercedes explored but stuck around with the shepherds. Sparky showed up occasionally to say that he was ready to go back inside. Max ran around, but was more involved than he used to be. He ran next to me on the mower for a while. Only once did I see him go into his tail chase/spin behavior and he stopped when I yelled at him. He didn't have anything to carry so I tossed him a tennis ball I had picked up from under a tree and with that he had something in his mouth that gave him purpose.
x










L to R: Max, Mercedes, Theo, and Rugger

Mercedes and Rugger
Sparky bounced around for the first few
minutes, but then he was ready to go in.
Front to back: Max, Mercedes, Theo



I think this is the best picture I've taken of Rugger.
He will be going to his new home on Sunday.

Sparky and Rugger
Max


Mercedes running next to the mower.

Shepherds in the shade.
Max, Rugger, Theo
Theo and Max

Theo in repose, but ready with his ball.
Mercedes, Max, and Rugger

Theo was disappointed in the ball game today.



No comments: