Monday, April 8, 2019

Spring is Over

Cash is happy to see anyone who walks by. He even rolled
over for a belly rub for me today.
Spring is a very short season around here and it ended today. The first day that you feel that heat and humidity, spring is over and summer has begun. I didn't turn on the central air today, but I came close.

When the clouds moved in and the wind was blowing, it wasn't too bad out and the girls and I got in a five mile hike early afternoon. Then the rain happened and suddenly it feels like summer around here.

We hiked five miles today but I plotted a route with three
water crossings so no one got overheated.
I didn't do much today other than work and hike. I took in a boarder this morning, Cooper, a former foster. He's here for a little over a week, camping out in Sparky's old kennel, more recently occupied and then vacated by Smokey. Smokey has been staying in the dog yard with Max and Theo during the day, sometimes joined by Trooper. The last few nights, it's been so warm that I've been leaving Smokey and Max in the dog yard at night too.

Smokey let me brush him! In fact he really enjoyed it. He's blowing his coat now and until I get more of it brushed out, I'd prefer he stay outside anyway. Max looks like his coat is about to blow too. Trooper and Theo can't be far behind. Tis the season of fur.

I think that the overly wet late summer, fall, and winter has
given us a better than usual crop of wildflowers this spring.
The new guy, Cash, is fitting in pretty well. He's staying downstairs, which suits him and is fine with me. He has not marked in the house. He's eating better than I expected, with just a bit of canned food or broth mixed in with the dry. I was told that he's smart and sneaky about pills and that is true. He didn't fall for my peanut butter pill pocket. Mixing the pill in with some canned food has worked the best of anything so far. He's a nice guy. I'm limiting him to the AC yard or leash walking for now. I want him to know where his home is before I let him out to wander the front yard on his own. His hearing is definitely limited, he sleeps the sleep of a deaf dog. That's another reason not to let him out to wander the front, even though it is fenced. Deaf dogs have no recall.




Because I stopped to take a picture of the
wildflowers, Serena had to check them out too.

Five miles and we encountered zero people going
early afternoon.



Cash seems pretty comfortable here already.


Afternoon thunderstorm positions, it's the only time Trooper
really needs to be close to me.



No comments: