Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Easter Lily

I didn't really have anything to do today, so it was dog rescue and hike of course, not unlike most other days. Lily is our new foster for Promises Animal Rescue. She is about three years old and she recently had a litter that I'm guessing wasn't her first.

The dog was a stray so she wasn't really attached to the name the shelter had given her. I asked Clay for Easter-themed female names, and he immediately suggested Lily. Seems obvious but it hadn't occurred to me, that's why I ask Clay. So Lily it is, and it fits her fine. She's not lily white, but she is beautiful.

Lily started her day at a shelter in North Carolina. She had a chartered flight on a private plane that brought her to northern Virginia, then a car ride to Culpeper where I met her and brought her home. She is understandably confused and bewildered, but she is sweet. She met all of our pack except Max and Smokey and she had no problem with any of them. We've got a pack with a pretty solid collective temperament now. Even Max and Smokey won't be any problem, but they were outside all day and just haven't had the opportunity to meet Lily.

I brought her home, introduced her, let her check out the kitchen area, and then crated her while I went off for a hike with Theo and Serena. We did four miles, followed by a two mile follow up hike with Serena, Maya, and Trooper. My legs are tired tonight.

Lily ate dinner. I gave her a collar with foster tags that say she belongs here. Her tail wags so fast it's just a blur in photos. She seemed to know to seek out the human when she was feeling a bit overwhelmed and insecure with all the new dogs. That's a good thing. I think that within a few days she will be bouncing around here like she's always belonged.
You can see why it would be a little overwhelming for a new
dog upon arrival here, but the resident dogs were welcoming.
That's Theo, Serena, and Cash meeting Lily as soon as I
got her out of the van.





Trooper and Maya meeting Lily.

Lily is the first new dog since Cash, but he was ok with her
too. That's good because I'd like for her to stay in the kitchen
with him until we find out about her house manners.

It was a big dog hike with Serena and Theo.

Both of these dogs like to lead so they were
side-by-side most of the time today.

It's amazing how far the greening has progressed in the past week.


The second hike was two miles. That's just right for Trooper.
Maya was all right with not going along on the first hike, but
when we got home she was talking to me from the upstairs window
and had no intention of letting me leave without her a second time.


Serena doing the walking lean with her
head in my hand for maximum contact.


Lily will need a couple days to settle in, but I think she's going to be fine.
She's got my tags on now, she's officially one of us, one of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty Labrador girl. Bet you won't have her long.

Byron's Mom said...

She looks like a little love bug. I'm so thankful she's with you.