Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Lake Anna Adventure

About a week ago, Clay and I drove over to Lake Anna in Louisa County to a new brewery called Cooling Pond Brewery. For those not from the area, the name is a tongue-in-cheek nod to Lake Anna itself, which was built as a source of cooling water for the nuclear power plant located nearby. Anyway, on the drive to the brewery I noticed a sign for Lake Anna State Park, which I knew nothing about. I googled it, saw that there were hiking trails, so today Maya and Serena and I drove over there for a hike through what was new territory for all of us.

The trails are easy and nicely laid out and maintained, although there was some mud as a result of yesterday's rain. We went almost 5.5 miles and there's at least two, maybe three more similar length hikes we could do there without repeating ourselves.

It was a good hike. The girls were excited about the new territory. I saw some new things, and we stopped for me to have a beer on the way home. That's something I can't do when hiking at Pleasant Grove.


The only remaining structure was the smokehouse.






The sound of waves hitting the shore was new
and had to be investigated.



With new territory to explore, Maya was out
front with Serena the entire time.


There were two old homesites on the trail,
one of which was described as a plantation,
which was apparently rather grand in its day.


Love this pic of my two girls.

No comments: